To support the mission and objectives of WBI, the following programs exist:
• Meetings — Conducted for guests and members. Attendees receive education through mini-workshops, networking opportunities, and exposure to industry news and updates. Meetings are held the third Saturday of January, March, May and September from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm at Lucky Dog Books (Oak Cliff location).
• Planned Critique Sessions (PCS) — Monthly, members of WBI gather for a critique session to provide in- depth, constructive feedback on eight to ten pages of a member’s work-in-progress. PCS aids in education, development, support and encouragement.
• Scholarship Award — Scholarship(s) are awarded to young African-American student(s) to assist them in their pursuit of a degree and career in the literary field. To apply for a scholarship and/or read more about the criteria, please click here.
• Anthology — A compilation book, featuring works by various members of the Writer’s Block, is published regularly. It contains short stories, essays, poems, affirmations and prose in a beautiful presentation. To order your copy, please click the Buy Now button. Total Price includes 9.99 + 2.07 shipping (Total Price $12.06)
• Writer’s Retreat — An annual retreat for writer’s to write, write, write! This three day retreat is for the serious writer who wants to advance a work-in-progress and/or receive valuable feedback. The retreat is held in a natural setting that offers plenty of fresh air, serenity, inspiration and creativity. The Writer’s Retreat is open to all writers of all genres. For more information, please click here.
• Block Events – WBI supports and promotes African-American literary events, authors and literature through financial contributions, marketing, attendance, hosting and volunteerism. Such events include Poetry Out Loud, book signings, readings, Write-Ins, poetry contests, workshops and more.